Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting Creative

My husband and I are in the middle of a cleanse/detox program from Standard Process.  It is 21 days of no processed, no sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol.  The first 10 days are also meatless, with protein coming from shakes with protein powder.

Eggs are not on the plan, but they are a pure protein/fat so we have added them in place of shakes, especially for lunch.  We can have a portion of brown or wild rice, or lentils daily.  This calls for a rice cake, not the over processed kind, but there are organic cakes that have only organic brown rice and sea salt, which technically, fits the bill.  Day 11 we are allowed to have fish or chicken for the remaining days.

I had heard about mixing egg and avocado, but wasn't quite sure about mixing what I perceived as guacamole with a hard boiled egg.  Well, let me tell you, I am a believer!  I made an egg salad sandwich of sorts for lunch today.  Healthy protein, healthy fat, the perfect mid day meal.  This recipe replaces the non healthy mayo with avocado, which adds the creaminess.  Here is what it looked like along with the recipe, which is quite simple! Good for you and it was amazingly filling.

'Clean' Egg Salad Sandwich
1 hard boiled egg
1/2 avocado
1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 organic brown rice cake
3 lettuce leaves
salt and pepper
paprika

In a small bowl, mash together the avocado and the egg yolk.  Finely chop the egg white and add to the bowl.  Add mustard; salt, pepper and paprika to taste.  Mix well.  Place salad mix on top of the rice cake, top with paprika.  You can add the lettuce under or over the salad, or eat separately.

2 comments:

  1. You are so creative. I'm done with the detox but would like to try this. Sounds like a great snack! Thanks--Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made it for lunch today since I had an avacado on hand. I only had regular bread but it was very good.

    ReplyDelete